In a joint project, the University of Toronto’s Institute of Islamic Studies seeks a researcher to write a report on the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) and allegations of its discriminatory practices against religious minorities and persons of colour with specific focus on access to and respect for legal counsel.
The Report will involve both primary and secondary research, outlined below. The researcher will work in close collaboration with and under the supervision of the Director of the Institute, Dr. Anver Emon. This Report is part of a broader research initiative led by the Institute on systemic Islamophobia, in particular discriminatory policing practices.
The researcher will complete the following deliverables for the project:
- Complete a detailed workplan and schedule for review and approval based upon deliverables, timelines, and project needs.
- Conduct initial desk research and complete a draft outline of a Final Report for review and approval.
- Complete a literature review on CSIS and critiques/allegations of its discriminatory practices against religious minorities and persons of colour. The researcher will consult court decisions, newspaper articles, reports, and academic articles when drafting this review.
- Draft semi-structured interview questions for interviews with Canadian lawyers who have engaged with CSIS in a professional capacity.
- Work with the Institute and stakeholders to create a list of 15-20 lawyers to interview.
- Conduct interviews with 15-20 lawyers. Transcribe interviews and draft a section on key interview findings.
- Write the Final Report (approximately 35 pages) with all sections combined. The researcher will subject a preliminary draft of the Report for review and commentary, incorporating feedback into final report.
- Present findings of the Report at two panel events and/or symposia.
- Engage with the media and the broader community about Report findings upon its release.
- An advanced university degree in law or a related field.
- Fluency in English.
- A minimum of three years’ experience writing research, policy, or advocacy reports.
Value and Duration
The successful applicant will be paid $12,000 + HST (if required by the consultant) to complete the research. The contract shall be paid in two installments of $6,000. The first installment shall be paid upon signature of the research contract. The second installment shall be paid upon submission and acceptance of the final edits of the Report.
The work shall commence September 20, 2022 and be completed by February 15, 2023.
Application Process & Deadline
Applicants shall submit their CV and a cover letter outlining their interest and suitability for this project as one PDF document to Professor Anver Emon at email@example.com. Applications must be received by September 14, 2022.
A PDF version can be found below: